Monday, November 2, 2009


So I figured I better have a decent excuse for not posting much. Lots of folk say they are going to write a novel "some day". Well November is National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. I meant to enter last year and didn't, this year I am in and after day one I have 3509 words written.

What is NaNoWriMo? It's an international writing challenge, you have the 30 days of November to write 50,000 words in the form of a novelette. The point is to get the words on the page, editing, spelling and such go out the window. Just write! I am a compulsive editor, this is hard for me. But I see the point, if I had spent the time I usually do going back and editing what I wrote, doing the research to fix a couple of things I know are wrong, I would have not gotten half the content on the screen that I did. The challenge is about stepping back from all of that and not writing the perfect novel, but writing a novel period. Many entries from this have gone on to be published, including Sarah Gruen, whose New York Times #1 Best Seller, Water for Elephants began as a NaNoWriMo novel.


Read more and maybe be inspired to get involved at the website NoNoWriMo.org

No comments:

Post a Comment